This four-part garden has its origins in the Old Testament in a description of the garden of Eden (Genesis, Chapter II, Verse 10), "And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads." This design was later adopted into early Christian monastery gardens where a basin of water was placed in the centre. In later Italian Renaissance gardens the basin of water was often replaced by a statue.
The marble statue was purchased in Florence, Italy, in 1956. The artist's name, "Romanelli", is carved at the back. There is now a museum in Florence that houses Romanelli's works of this late 19th Century period. The subject is a poor waif from the streets of Florence holding her pet, a pigeon. Notice the tremendous amount of detail in this statue.
The four beds are edged with box and filled with Vinca Minor.
In the centre of each bed is a cherry tree (Mt. Fuji). The trees
serve two purposes:
1- To give a vertical interest to the garden
2- To give shade to the box and Vinca.
The ivy criss-crosses on the walls simply help to make the plain slatted walls more interesting. The idea dates from Roman times. The garden bench (not pictured) is Chinese Chippendale in style.